Self-respect and self-confidence can be very important for a successful and happy life. Unfortunately, not everyone finds it easy to do these things. Self-esteem and confidence can be built, but it can take time and work. Here are eight things you can do today to start building your self-esteem and confidence, without taking a high, expensive course or following around a cult-like guru.
- Celebrate Your Achievements. It’s easy to think about what you haven’t done, but it’s important to notice and celebrate the things you have done well. Take some time to think about what you’ve done and pat yourself on the back for how hard you’ve worked. Take the time to evaluate everything now just materialistic. Have you overcome some huge obstacle and looked at it differently? Small things can surely propel you to the next challenge.
- Find what you love doing. Having a passion is a great way to feel better about yourself. Spend some time trying out different hobbies or activities until you find one you really like. This will not only make you feel good about yourself, but it will also give you a way to deal with stress and anxiety. A perfect example might be going to the gym and letting out some stress, find your lane and what makes you feel good.
- Set Some Goals. Setting goals is a great way to stay motivated and on the right track. Make sure to set goals that are reasonable and that you can actually reach. When you reach a goal, give yourself credit for your hard work and a small reward. Write down the goals, stick them on white boards or whatever, and cross them out when they are done goals turn into bigger goals, that ultimately reach the dreams you have been thinking about.
- Spend time with people who are good for you, support you and encourage you. The people you spend time with can have a big effect on how you feel about yourself. Try to find family and friends who will support and help you reach your goals. This will give you more confidence, but be really careful because some of them have motives. Hang out with people that want the best for you, with their words and behaviors.
- Look after yourself. One of the best ways to boost your self-esteem is to take care of yourself. (Self Care, Self Love, whatever you want to call it) It’s not selfish to take care of yourself. Make sure you give yourself time every day to do things that make you happy. Take care of yourself by doing things like taking meditating, reading a book, watching your favorite show, or simply watching your kids.
- Put your negative thoughts to the test. It’s easy to be your own worst critic, but it’s important to question these negative thoughts. When you find yourself thinking negative thoughts, take a moment to really look at them and ask yourself if they’re true, or if it’s just [email protected]#$, you made up in your head. Maybe you are used to it, break that part of the belief and challenge it.
- Don’t be mean to yourself. It’s easy to be hard on yourself, but try to be kind and respectful to yourself the way you would to someone else. Take the time to be kind to yourself, and try not to be too hard on yourself. Sometimes that might be the hardest thing to do, but putting all of those at the top in order, and being mean to yourself will go away.
- Take some risks. Taking risks can be a great way to build your confidence and self-esteem. Try new things and get out of your comfort zone. Even if things don’t go as planned, you’ll still learn something from the experience. Experience is the best teacher and one day when situations arise again is when you know how to deal with it and conquer what is in your head.
It can take time to build self-esteem and confidence, but it is possible with hard work, self-support and dedication. If you put these 8 tips into action, you’ll start to see results in no time, and to be proud of the new you.